Memorial Lecture Joaquim da Costa Ribeiro
Established in 2011, this honor is aimed at senior researchers with an outstanding trajectory within the Materials research community. The award-winning scientists present a lecture, with a historical perspective, during the opening of the B-MRS Meeting. This award lecture pays tribute to Joaquim da Costa Ribeiro, pioneer of experimental research in Materials in Brazil.
The scientists who have received this distinction to date are:
- Prof. Sergio Machado Rezende (UFPE – Department of Physics). Gramado, September 25, 2011.
- Prof. Sergio Mascarenhas Oliveira (IFSC-USP). Florianópolis, September 23, 2012.
- Prof. Elson Longo da Silva (UFSCar – Department of Chemistry). Campos do Jordão, September 29, 2013.
- Prof. José Arana Varela (Unesp – Institute of Chemistry of Araraquara). João Pessoa, September 28, 2014.
- Prof. Eloisa Biasotto Mano (IMA – UFRJ). Rio de Janeiro, September 27, 2015.
- Prof. Aldo Craievich (USP – Institute of Physics). Campinas, September 25, 2016.
- Prof. João Alziro H. da Jornada (UFRGS – Institute of Physics). Gramado, September 10, 2017.
- Prof. Fernando Galembeck (UNICAMP – Institute of Chemistry). Natal, September 16, 2018.
- Prof. Yvonne Primerano Mascarenhas (IFSC – USP). Balneário Camboriú, September 22, 2019.
- Prof. Cid Bartolomeu de Araújo (UFPE – Department of Physics). Online, August 30, 2021.
- Prof. Roberto Mendonça Faria (IFSC-USP). Foz do Iguaçu, September 25, 2022.
- Prof. Gilberto de Sá (UFPE). Maceió, October 1, 2023.
Jose Arana Varela Award
This B-MRS award, launched in 2019, is bestowed annually upon a researcher from a Brazilian institution, with an established career, who stands out for the scientific or technological results he/ she achieved in the area of Materials and related areas and/or for his/ her contributions to our community. The award winner is invited to present his/ her main contributions in a plenary talk at the B-MRS Meeting. Through the name, this distinction pays homage to Prof. José Arana Varela, prominent Brazilian materials scientist and former president of B-MRS, who died in 2016.
To date, the following researchers have given this award lecture:
- Prof. Edson Roberto Leite (UFSCar and LNNano – CNPEM). The award was delivered in 2021 during the XIX B-MRS Meeting, that was held online.
- Prof. Daniel Mario Ugarte (IFGW – Unicamp). Delivered in Foz do Iguaçu, on September 27, 2022, during the XX B-MRS Meeting.
- Prof. Fernando Lázaro Freire Junior (PUC-Rio). Lecture held on October 3, 2023, during the XXI B-MRS Meeting in Maceió.
Bernhard Gross Awards
Created in 2012, this award is aimed at students. The Bernhard Gross Awards highlight the best works (one oral and one poster) of each B-MRS Meeting symposium presented by undergraduate or graduate students. At the end of the event, in an emotional ceremony, the young people receive their certificates. The selection is based on the evaluation carried out by the organizers of each symposium using criteria defined by the B-MRS Awards Committee. To compete for these awards it is necessary to submit an extended abstract. The name of the award is a tribute to scientist Bernhard Gross, a pioneer of Materials research in Brazil.
- 1st edition of the award: XI Encontro da SBPMat. Florianópolis, September 23 to 27, 2012.
- 2nd edition: XII Encontro da SBPMat. Campos do Jordão, September 29th to October 3rd, 2013. List of winners.
- 3rd edition: XIII Encontro da SBPMat. João Pessoa, September 28th to October 2nd, 2014. List of winners.
- 4th edition: XIV B-MRS Meeting. Rio de Janeiro, September 27th to October 1st, 2015. List of winners.
- 5th edition: XV B-MRS Meeting. Campinas, September 25th to 29th, 2016. List of winners.
- 6th edition: XVI B-MRS Meeting. Gramado, September 10th to 14th, 2017.
- 7th edition: XVII B-MRS Meeting. Natal, September 16th to 20th, 2018. List of winners.
- 8th edition: XVIII B-MRS Meeting. Balneário Camboriú, September 22nd to 26th, 2019. List of winners.
- 9th edition: XIX B-MRS Meeting. Online, August 30th to September 3rd, 2021. List of winners.
- 10th edition: XX B-MRS Meeting. Foz do Iguaçu, September 25th to 29th, 2022. List of winners.
- 11th edition: XXI B-MRS Meeting. Maceió, October 1st to 5th, 2023. List of winners.
This award was created in 2023 by the Journal of Alloys and Compounds (JALCOM), Elsevier, in partnership with B-MRS. The award distinguishes researchers from Brazilian institutions with outstanding contributions to certain topics in the fields of Materials and Energy.
Winners of the 1st edition, announced on October 5, 2023 at the XXI B-MRS Meeting (Maceió):
- JALCOM Advanced Career Researcher Award 2023 – Prof. Conrado R. M. Afonso (UFSCar).
- JALCOM Rising Star Awards 2023 – Dr. Gisele Amaral Labat (INPE) and Dr. Piter Gargarella (UFSCar).