Protective Coating: Advanced Surface Engineering
The aim of this symposium is to offer an overview on the frontiers of research, technology and applications of protective coatings and thin films. Areas of particular interest will include, but will not be limited to:
- Nanostructured coatings, such as diamond-like carbon films, nanodiamond films, multi-component systems based on transition metal nitrides or oxides, hard nanocomposites and multi-functional nanolaminates, with a wide range of applications (automotive and machinery industries, aerospace industry, medical implants, decoration, electronic industry, etc).
- Surface modifications induced by energetic techniques such as ion implantation, laser treatment, plasma processing, etc.
- Physical and chemical routes of synthesis with emphasis on emerging techniques: hybrid sputtering/CVD techniques, highly ionized sputter deposition, ion enhanced pulsed laser deposition, plasma-assisted chemical vapor deposition, pulsed plasma, plasma-based ion implantation, activated reactive evaporation, cathodic arc, etc.
- Fundamentals of deposition processes, growth modeling, substrate/surface effects, residual stresses;
- Characterization and properties of protective coatings, including morphology, microstructure, composition, mechanical and tribological properties, tribochemistry, MEMS/NEMS interfaces and chemical properties comprising chemical inertness, anti-microbial or self-cleaning finalities.
Hot topics to be covered by the symposium:
- ultra-low friction coatings
- recent progress in nanoindentation
- superhard coatings
- new deposition techniques
- new coatings for aerospace industry
- hydrophobic and hydrophilic coatings
- nanostructured coatings and nanometrology
Confirmed speakers/talks (confirmed list):
- Wolfgang Jager
- Warren C. oliver (Agilent)
- Fernando Alvarez (UNICAMP)
Scientific committee members:
- Carlos Maurício Lepinsky (UFPR, Curitiba)
- Sérgio de Souza Camargo Jr. (COPPE-UFRJ, Rio de Janeiro)
- Vladimir Jesus Trava-Airoldi (INPE, São José dos Campos)
- Ronghua Wei (Southwest Research Institute, San Antonio, Texas, USA)
- Gino Mariotto (University of Verona, Verona, Italy)
- Francisco Marques (UNICAMP, Campinas)
Full papers: Journal of Materials Science (Springer) will publish Special ICAM 2009
issue(s) containing full papers of abstracts presented in this symposium provided such
manuscripts are reviewed according to the Journal standards. Authors are invited, not obliged,
to submit full length manuscripts.
For instructions, please check Full Papers Publication.
Fernando L. Freire Jr.
Departmento de Física, Rua Marquês de São Vicente, 225
Gávea, Rio de Janeiro, 22451-900, RJ, Brasil
Phone number: 55-21-3527127
Materials Science and Engineering Department,
2220 Campus Drive, Evanston,
IL 60208-3108, USA
Phone number: 01-847- 4913537
Israel J. R. Baumvol
Programa de Pós-Graduação em Materiais, Bloco V,
Sala 201 C, Cidade Universitária,
R. Francisco Getúlio Vargas, 1130, 95070-560,
Caxias do Sul, RS, Brazil
Phone number: 55-54- 32182764